Civil Engineering - Higher Diploma
Civil Engineering Section
Provide high quality education and training that will enhance the student’s creativity and logical capacity, provide him/her with a strong broad base in Civil Engineering, and enable him/her to communicate effectively, to be technically competent in Civil Engineering, to work to the highest ethical standards, to function in multi-disciplinary teams and independently, and to analyze and produce simple designs of different structures.
The program should enable the student to:
1. Communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing in the professional setting.
2. Work individually and in a team environment.
3. Apply the relevant civil engineering fundamentals in the professional environment.
4. Take an active role and participate in his/her career development to ensure technical competence.
5. Make use of the available computer communication resources.
6. Maintain and practice with the highest standard of codes and ethics.
7. Organize work and manage his/her time in order to achieve set target.
8. Use engineering tools necessary for civil engineering practice.
9. Work on multi-disciplinary projects.
10. Accurately apply civil engineering principles in a professional environment.
a. The use of Computer Aided Design for producing structural drawings.
b. Interpretation of drawing details.
c. Assisting in producing professional presentations of designs.
11. Understand and appraise the costs of civil engineering projects.
12. Understand and apply the principles of Civil Engineering
The graduate should have the ability to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- Produce structural drawings
- Accurately interpret structural drawings
- Function in multi-disciplinary teams
- Identify, analyze and solve civil engineering problems
- Appreciate the professional and ethical responsibility
- Communicate effectively
- Analyze issues logically and creatively
- Recognize the need for and ability to engage in lifelong learning
- Have the knowledge of contemporary issues relating to civil engineering
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern tools necessary for civil engineering practice
- Apply the concepts and principles of structural analysis and design
- Use the concepts of soil mechanics in Civil Engineering
- Apply the basic concepts of land surveying
- Recognize and utilize different construction materials
- Construct plans to meet time-constrained targets
- Present designs
- Inspect site work, after gaining sufficient experience under the supervision of professionals.