Information Technology Shinas (ITS) Club
The ITS Club is the official Information Technology students club/organization of Shinas College of Technology that started in 2008.
To be a leading student organization providing a well-coordinated support hub for IT students to engage, explore and evolve as responsible IT professionals with creative and innovative mind to contribute to national socio-economic development of the sultanate.
To deliver a high quality student-centered support hub that encourages IT students to improve academically; participate in college and external activities; foster a responsible sharing of knowledge; offer opportunities in exploring and nurturing values; improve cognitive and technical skills; develop entrepreneurial and interpersonal skills; and stimulate social responsibility awareness which will assist them to learn, grow and fully prepared to face the challenges in life outside the campus and global workforce.
1. Provide an effective support to improve students’ academic performance.
2. Improve students’ engagement in college and external activities which include but not limited to industry visits, seminars, workshops and training.
3. Strengthen students’ relationship with one another fostering a responsible sharing of knowledge through the use of different tools of communications and personal interactions.
4. Provide opportunities to explore and nurture students’ talents in cognitive and IT skills, entrepreneurial and interpersonal skills and develop ethical behavior.
5. Stimulate students’ awareness on their social responsibility.
If you have inquiries or would like to join ITS Club, please contact:
| Amina Salim Mohammed Al-Jabri |
IT HoD | ITS Club Coordinator
Office Phone: +968 2685 2881
| Anette G. Daligcon |
IT Lecturer | ITS Club Assistant Coordinator
Office Phone: +968 2685 2996
- Photos of ITS Club:
- Qualifications of ITS Club Officers-Candidates:
- All candidates/officers should be in good standing with CGPA of not less than 80 (B+) and must not be on academic probation and not involved in any case.
- All candidates/officers except Level Representatives position should be in either B. Tech or Advanced Diploma Level.
- How to apply for a candidacy to the ITS Club Officership?
- The ITS Club Committee Members who are staff members of the IT Department will send an announcement for the opening of filing a candidacy/intention to run for a position in ITS Club.
- All applications will be verified by ITS CLUB Committee members if they met all requirements.
- Every position should only have one officer except for level representatives which 2 representatives will be chosen for Diploma 1 (1 Male, 1 Female), Diploma II (1 Male, 1 Female) and one representative for each specialization in the Advanced Diploma and Bachelor.
- Guidelines for ITS Club Officers
Positions1 President2 Vice President3 Secretary4 Director – Membership5 Director Information and Communication6 Director - Student Development Program7 Level Representatives for the following
- Software Engineering
- Advanced Diploma
- Software Engineering
- Internet and E-security
- Diploma II
- Diploma I
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Calls and presides all meetings as deemed necessary.
- Oversees the activities and welfare of the organization.
- Submits report every at the end of the semester to the IT Club Coordinator.
- Assumes the role of President if the President is incapacitated (unable to perform his/her duties)
- Assists the President in all activities of the IT CLUB.
- Prepares the agenda together with the President.
5. DIRECTOR –MEMBERSHIP
- Prepares and keeps the minutes of all meetings.
- Announces or sends notices to all IT Club officers and members for all meetings
- Handles liaison work among members as delegated by the President.
- Assists the President in making the report.
6. DIRECTOR – Information and Communication
- Keeps all records of IT Club members.
- Maintains the organization’s database.
- Maintains the records of all alumni members.
- Organizes and manages a committee charged with the issuance of awards to deserving members.
7 DIRECTOR – Student Development Program
- Manages all publications of the club (including making announcement to be posted in notice board and plasma coordinates with IT students for article contribution in IT Clicks.
8 Level REPRESENTATIVES
- In-charge of all study groups, workshops, trainings and seminars.
- Report the development and activities of each study group to the advisers.
- Represents the level in all meetings.
- Coordinates with the president and endorse all concerns and decisions made within the level meetings.
- Ensures that the IT CLUB is organized according to the general IT CLUB calendar.
- Supervises the election of officers for the school year.
- Assists in the formation of the calendar of activities.
- Reviews all project proposals.
- Attends all meetings.
- Coach and inspires the set of officers.
- Strategies to Achieve the Objectives
1. Provide an effective support to improve students’ academic performance.a. Identify the support needed by student to improve their academic performance through student requests, crowdsourcing and collecting of ideas and suggestions from IT Lecturers based on consultation reports and students’ performance.b. Compile and analyze the ideas and suggestions from Lecturers.c. Draft an action plan to address the needs of students.d. Implement the action plan. (e.g. conduct workshops/training/seminar on effective learning techniques, styles and strategies, send good study habit tips through e-mail, newsletters/magazines, free online applications to pass on valuable information.2. Improve students’ engagement in college and external activities which include but not limited to industry visits, seminars, workshops and training.a. Plan for activities of students based on the Academic Year calendar. These include but not limited to:Quiz competitionIT Open DayRegular meetings/activities (regular English newspaper reading to be updated of news and technology, showing videos on technical and interpersonal skills (e.g. TED videos), group discussions and mock panel interviews).b. Seek for approval of activities for ITS Club.c. Communicate with industries other colleges and universities for visits, workshops, training and seminar.d. Check for IT expo and exhibits in the sultanate or neighbouring GCC countries.e. Gather feedback before the end of the academic year.f. Use feedback to improve strategies for next academic year.3. Strengthen students’ relationship with one another fostering a responsible sharing of knowledge through the use of different tools of communications and personal interactions.a. Plan for more activities of students based on the Academic Year calendar in addition to the activities mentioned above.Seminars for students conducted by invited Trainer/Speaker from other department/center or from outside the college.Peer-to-peer study sessions and group studies.b. Seek for approval of activities for ITS club.c. Send regular e-mail for more information and tips for good study habits and motivational texts that will empower them to do their best.d. Gather feedback for satisfaction level of the students at the end of academic year.e. Use feedback to improve on the strategies for the next academic year.4. Provide opportunities to explore and nurture students’ talents in cognitive and IT skills, entrepreneurial and interpersonal skills and develop ethical behavior.a. Support the number 2 and 3 objectives’ activities.b. Lists all needed resources for every activity and make a request ahead of time.c. Encourage students to share their talents in different IT and interpersonal skills by assigning them a task to be a speaker/trainer or accepting volunteers to display their talents in IT and interpersonal skills.d. Send regular e-mail for more information and tips related to IT and interpersonal skills.e. Gather feedback for satisfaction level of the students at the end of academic year.f. Use feedback to improve on the strategies for the next academic year.5. Stimulate students’ awareness on their social responsibility.a. Plan for seminars that provide awareness on social responsibility to instill in their minds that they have responsibility in their own community and environment.b. Empower them with motivational words through official mode of communications about the duties and responsibilities of a good citizen.c. Plan for activities that will benefit the community outside the campus. These include but not limited to:Reaching out to schools and out-of-school youths around the area to conduct seminars in the field of IT.Community service approved by the college.Offer help for automation of manual processes.d. Gather feedback for satisfaction level of the students at the end of academic