Welcome back to campus for the Academic Year 2016-2017. I hope that you have had a relaxing summer, filled with joy and good health.
You may have noticed a few changes and some new faces including myself. I am really excited to join Shinas College of Technology as your new Dean. ShCT is the jewel of North Al-Batinah, Shinas not only because of its strategic location and beautiful environment, but more so because of its dedicated staff whom I am honored to work with.
I am pleased to welcome Ms. Amina Al Jabri, the new Head of IT department. Ms. Amina has her M.Sc. degree in advanced Computer Science from Newcastle University. Her experience of more than ten years as a lecturer and acting Head of Section will help to continue to improve the department.
We are also thrilled to welcome the following newly assigned Head of Sections:
- Ms. Iman Al Ribey, Head of Accounting Section. Ms. Iman has her M.Sc. degree from Sterling University and been working with us as a lecturer.
- Ms. Amna Salim Al Kaaby, Head of Information Technology section. Ms. Amna has been with us as a lecturer in the IT department since 2013.
- Ms. Fatma Mohammad Al Yahyai, Head of Educational Services Section, ETC. Ms. Fatma has been working as a technician in the ETC for about ten years.
- Mr. AbdulRidha Salim Al Hamadani, Head of Computer Services Section, ETC. Mr. AbdulRidha has worked as networks technician for about ten years in ETC.
- Mr. Marwan Said Al Yahyai, Head of Library Section. Mr. Marwan has a Bachelor of Arts degree from Sultan Qaboos University and has been working as a librarian since 2012.
I would also like to welcome our new addition of Omani staff, Ms. Bushra Said Al Mamary and Ms. Maryam Ahmad Al Nofli. Ms. Bushra has a Bachelor degree in Computer Science from Brunel University and is employed as Assistant Trainer in ETC. Ms. Maryam has a Bachelor degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering also from Brunel University and is working as Assistant Trainer in electrical and electronics section.
We are proud to announce that our college has successfully completed the pilot GFP Quality Audit by Oman Academic Accreditation Authority. The panel of experts has acknowledged our achievements during the process in light of the limited time frame provided to Shinas College of Technology to prepare for the visit. Likewise, I would like to highlight that the OAAA commended ShCT’s online grievance system and the ELC’s effectively managed moderation process as well as our staff induction process.
We are very excited about our new campus improvement that will provide a great and enhanced learning environment to our GFP students and staff. The new ELC building is composed of around 37 class rooms and 10 computer laboratories as well as multimedia laboratories to improve the linguistic skills of our students. The new ELC staff offices will create a better environment to communicate and improve the teaching and learning process. The new Engineering workshop will raise the skills of our Engineering students to a semi-industrial level and increase their career opportunities. Both projects are due for completion by this semester so as to be hopefully utilized for the second semester.
This week, we have started the induction process for our new intake with an enhanced and improved induction programme headed by our ADSA, Mr. Ali Al-Alawi. Our next major event is the Graduation Ceremony that will hopefully be held during the first week of November. You are all invited to share this prodigious celebration with our students.
Remember, we lay the foundation which make our students global citizens, entrepreneurs, and leaders who lead our world forward.
Khalid Zayed Al-Muharrami, Ph.D